Ophthalmology & Optometry/Eyes hurt but Doctors say there's no problem?

For about the past year and a half my eyes have been in a near-constant state of redness and discomfort, getting worse and worse as time goes on. I've seen two different ophthalmologists but they both said they can't find anything wrong except for a little GPC.

One Dr prescribed neo/poly/dex drops for the GPC and the other just told me to use Refresh Plus preservative free drops daily. Neither seems to have helped much and my eyes have become more and more veined and bloodshot. New veins keep appearing but the old ones never go away.

I've tried using compresses in addition to drops but the scratchy stinging feeling always comes back within minutes or hours. I also sometimes wake up in the morning with my eyes so dry that they can't open for a minute or so. I used to wear contacts daily but haven't worn them more than a handful of times after I got a corneal ulcer 5 years ago.

I can't believe two different doctors said my eyes are fine because it definitely feels like something is wrong. Please tell me there's something else I could try or at least ask them to check next time I see a doctor for this.

It sounds like the progressive irritation and redness and dryness are a result of dry syndrome . have you had a schimers tear test or tear break up time analysis? if not ask for that? additionally Try warm compresses daily for a week with artificial tears like Systane ,Theratears, tears or Retaine or a prescription called Restasis along with possible punctal plugs. And try erythromycin ointment on you lashes and lids after the warm compresses for 1-2 weeks to see if you get relief.  Dr Berger

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Any and all questions with regard to ocular ailments, eye diseases as cataracts, glaucoma, macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy, etc , eye and visual sympomatology, eyeglasses, contact lenses, low or subnormal vision, pediatric vision conditions,and special and unique ailments will be discussed.

36 years of clinical experience in opticianry and therapeutic optometry. Still in private practice with special interests in vision conditions, diagnosing and treating ocular ailments, prescibing treatment plans which include medicine, eyeglasses, and contact lenses primarily. Although surgery is not within the realm of my area of expertise, I co-manage many pre and post -op surgical cases which include Lasik and PRK procedures.

New Jersey Society of Optometric Physicians American Optometric Association

B.A.,1968, Hunter College of the City University of New York B.S.,1970, Pennsylvania College of Optometry O.D.,1973, Pennsylvania College of Optometry Therapeutic Pharmaceutical Administration Certification, New Jersey 1992

Clinical Efficiency Award, 1973, Pennsylvaania College of Optometry