Ophthalmology & Optometry/Tell me what you think

Question
I age 60 have been wearing eye glasses since I was five years old.  I always go to the ophthalmologist and then I have my prescription filled at the local optical store.  I have been using the same optical store for 30 years to have them make my glasses.  However, twice the eye doctor screwed up my prescription - once ten years ago and then last year.  Stanley who is the owner of the optical store 10 years ago just made the prescription over without me going back to the eye doctor and it was fine.  Last year Stanley did the same thing but  now I am wondering if what Stanley did was the right thing to do or by Stanley doing that he could be causing harm to my vision and causing other effects on me.

Reason, I am asking is that I have to take off my glasses to read and there are other problems I am having.    

Just to let you know the two times it happened  had to use different eye doctors in the office - my regular eye doctor was not in.

Answer
Most persons over age 50 who are nearsighted will need to remove eyeglasses to read or get bifocals or progressive lenses.  That's normal. If you already have bifocals or progressives and still can't read , then they are
Either too weak or incorrectly made   Hope this helps. Dr Berger

Ophthalmology & Optometry

DR. KENNETH BERGER