Ophthalmology & Optometry/wTiHkyYioQicQIO

I just participated in a ctoninuing education course at ICO.  It is disheartening when top educators in the optometric field talk in terms of 2o/20 vision.  The same language is present in our journals.  There is no such thing as 2o/20 vision.  It 20/20 visual acuity.  It is sad when one branch of optometry is more interested in gaining acceptance by ophthalmology by using their language.  Educators and people working with head injury patients become more confused about the difference between sight and vision.  Sight is seeing clearly.  Vision is perceiving, processing and performing.  Vision is a sensory, cognitive and motor process.  Furthermore, more people have learning related vision problems and vision problems following head injuries than actually require treatment for pathology.   One out of 4 children is struggling or working below their potential because of convergence insufficiency.  Optometrists are much more willing to refer to an opthamologist for pathology than to a behavioral/developmental optometrist to treat a binocular dysfunction.

You are absolutely correct .the difference between vision and eyesight is the difference between visual acuity or discrimination and perception. it has become a misnomer to refer to vision as 2020 20/30, 20/100 Etc  it is indeed visual acuity or visual sharpness in other words eyesight.  We as practitioners , are primarily involved with image sharpness or lack thereof . And it is the developmental optometrists, psychologists,, learning disability specialists ,who deal with visual perception, deriving meaning from what we see, and it's impairment.    Dr Berger  ,

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Any and all questions with regard to ocular ailments, eye diseases as cataracts, glaucoma, macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy, etc , eye and visual sympomatology, eyeglasses, contact lenses, low or subnormal vision, pediatric vision conditions,and special and unique ailments will be discussed.

36 years of clinical experience in opticianry and therapeutic optometry. Still in private practice with special interests in vision conditions, diagnosing and treating ocular ailments, prescibing treatment plans which include medicine, eyeglasses, and contact lenses primarily. Although surgery is not within the realm of my area of expertise, I co-manage many pre and post -op surgical cases which include Lasik and PRK procedures.

New Jersey Society of Optometric Physicians American Optometric Association

B.A.,1968, Hunter College of the City University of New York B.S.,1970, Pennsylvania College of Optometry O.D.,1973, Pennsylvania College of Optometry Therapeutic Pharmaceutical Administration Certification, New Jersey 1992

Clinical Efficiency Award, 1973, Pennsylvaania College of Optometry