Ophthalmology & Optometry/Extended Wear Contact Lenses

Hello John,

I hope you can help me even though I am in London, UK.

I am 33, male. I first wore glasses when I was around 17 or 18 and as I wasn't happy at all about this I went for laser eye surgery by the time I was 21 (LASEK not LASIK). Within a couple of years my eye sight had regressed again - I didn't get any real answers but my feeling is that I had the surgery too young?

I tried to ignore it for as long as I could but with getting headaches and so on I forced myself to try contact lenses. For two years now I have been wearing extended wear lenses. My eyes before surgery and again now are -1.25 so not that bad but I have astigmatism. My reason for wearing extended wear is more to do with convenience and not having the hassle of glasses as back up and so on.

For a while I tried Acuvue Oasys which were quite uncomfortable and I would wake up with a gritty feeling in my eyes. They were also a bluish colour and so it was obvious I had contacts in. I was wearing those for a week and then disposing.

Now I am on Night and Day Air Optix. They are a lot more comfortable and discreet. I still have good days and bad days but my eyes are not as fresh as they should be, and at times quite dry and tired/irritated. Some of this is my own fault and I need to improve other things - taking breaks from the computer, drinking more, stressing less and so on. I do take the lenses out one night a week to give my eyes a rest.

But having said that I cannot believe there isn't a better extended wear alternative out there for me. Every time I have an aftercare appointment they tell me there aren't any alternatives because all the investment is going into daily lenses not extended wear?! I think they did say there is one other brand but it wouldn't make much of a difference.

My questions are:

1. Is there an alternative extended wear lens out there which may be better and more comfortable for me?

2. At my latest eye exam they found a 'nevus' in my left eye at the back. They are referring me to an eye specialist to check it is nothing to worry about. Is this a common thing? And is it something that could be caused by either laser surgery, too much computer or even eye drops (the ones I use are HYCOSAN)?

3. If in future (after a year or so) I decide to go for laser surgery again, would I be more at risk as it would be the second time? And also, would it be more of an 'enhancement' or a full surgery again? And do you think the reason my first surgery didn't last long was because they did it on me too early (age 21)?

I'd be really grateful for any help/advice you can offer!

Thank you so much.

Thanks for your questions!

I'm sorry your vision regressed - that sounds frustrating.  I would agree with your thoughts - you had LASIK too young.  The eye wasn't 'done' growing / adjusting.  It's no harm, but frustrating.
There are a few alternatives to the lenses you mentioned.  In the US there are a few lenses for extended wear.  
1. Acuvue Oasys, sleep x 1 wk, dispose every week.
2. Air Optix Night & Day, sleep x 1-2 wks, dispose every month.
3. Biofinity, sleep x 1 wk, dispose every month.
4. B+L Ultra, sleep x 1 wk, dispose every month.

Your doctor was right, the options are a bit limited because of all of the dailies, but there are some good options.  Another thing to review with them would be eye lid and tear film.  If the tears are the wrong chemistry any contact will cause dryness - perhaps they need to also rule out dry eye or blepharitis issues.

A choroidal nevus is a very common finding, and I see at least a few every week.  Think of it like a benign mole on your skin.  Some, very rarely (1 out of 400,000) can turn into melanoma, just like a mole on your skin can.  No worries, but it's a good thing to get checked.  

I don't have any hesitation about getting a second LASIK consultation, my only concern would be waiting until you have 2-3 years of the same prescription - make sure they're stable this time.  The average cornea can have surgery to cover up to about -7.00.  SO you had a -1.25 already - you can go again for another -1.25 easily.  Your surgeon will take measurements to make sure.

Ophthalmology & Optometry

John M. Dovie, OD, FAAO

As a residency-trained Fellow of the American Academy of Optometry I am able to answer most questions regarding eye and vision health. Anything is welcome, ranging from dry or allergy eyes, bifocal contact lenses, or thoughts on LASIK surgery. As I am not a surgeon, detail-oriented surgical-related questions may be better answered by an ophthalmologist.

Selected to participate in the PCO residency program in Philadelphia at The Eye Institute, where I worked OD and MD specialists gaining invaluable experience in various clinics including glaucoma, cornea and cataract, oculo-plastics, retinal disease, neuro-ophthalmic disease, primary care, emergency medicine, and special populations. Have practiced and trained in numerous settings including hospital, academic, retail and private practice. I earned my Fellowship in the American Academy of Optometry (FAAO). There are currently only about 3000 active fellows worldwide, and there are only about 70 Fellows in the state of Virginia. I currently own and operate my own optometric practice/clinic.

American Academy of Optometry, American Optometric Association (Contact Lens/Cornea Section member since 2001), Southwest Virginia Optometric Association, Virginia Tech Alumni Association

“Nyctalopia as the Presenting Sign of Vitamin A Deficiency: A Late Complication of Gastric Bypass Surgery.” Clinical Case Study Poster presented at The American Academy of Optometry Denver, Colorado, December 2006, co-authored with Bradley Lane, OD.
“The Importance of Considering Paranasal Sinus Mucocele as a Differential Diagnosis in Diplopia.” Clinical Case Study Poster presented at The American Academy of Optometry San Diego, California, December 2005, co-authored with Kelly Malloy, OD, FAAO and Cherie Farkash, OD.
“Acute Onset of Halos and Glare: Bilateral Keratitis—An Atypical Presentation of Amiodarone Keratopathy.” Clinical Case Study Poster presented at The American Academy of Optometry Tampa, Florida December 2004. Also Presented to New Jersey Academy of Optometry, Neptune, New Jersey March 2005.
“The Opportunity for an Optometrist to Save a Life.” Clinical Case Study and Grand Rounds Presentation presented at The Pennsylvania College of Optometry, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, September 2004.
“Corneal whorls cause wonder.” Clinical Challenges Quiz, co-authored with Andrew Gurwood, OD, FAAO, Review of Optometry. Published 10/15/2006.
“Acute onset of halos and glare: bilateral corneal epithelial edema with cystic eruptions--atypical presentation of amiodarone keratopathy.” Co-authored with Andrew Gurwood, OD, FAAO. Published February, 2006, Optometry.
“Pondering the posterior polka-dots.” Clinical Challenges Quiz, co-authored with Andrew Gurwood, OD, FAAO, Review of Optometry. Published 5/15/2005.
Professional Involvement:
“AION: Amiodarone-Induced or Anterior Ischemic Optic Neuropathy?” Participated as a peer-review referee for Expert Review of Ophthalmology (London, UK); refereed 10/2006.

Bachelor of Science, Cum Laude, Virginia Tech. Bachelor of Science, Pennsylvania College of Optometry. Doctorate (OD), Pennsylvania College of Optometry Residency, Pennsylvania College of Optometry Fellow of the American Academy of Optometry

Winner, First Place, "Best Beside Manner" by Our Health Magazine: 2012, 2013, 2014 Winner, First Place, "Best Eye Doctor" by The Roanoke Times: 2013, 2014 Recognized as a Fellow of the American Academy of Optometry, December, 2006 Recipient of the Onofrey G. Rybachok Memorial Scholarship, 2000-2001 Member: The Golden Key International Honor Society Member: The National Biological Honor Society Member: The National Honor Society Eagle Scout awarded 1994