Ophthalmology & Optometry/Sudden brief blurring of vision

Question
Dear Doctor,

I was taking a nap today and when I got up, I realized that my right eye is blurry. I washed my eye several times but it persisted. When I wore my glasses I still could see only blurred with my right eye. When I blinked, it seemed like there was a thin film on my eye blocking my vision. I was really scared and I rushed to the ER, where I could immediately meet an Eye surgeon fortunately. He checked my eyes and took a vision test making me read alphabets on the board etc. He concluded that there has been a very small change in my right eye vision. By then the blurriness had reduced significantly but it was still there. He also used some instrument to look inside the eye that shone bright light in the eye. He said there was nothing wrong that he can see, probably an infection and gave me Xinep and Lotepred eye drops. I used them once and vision seems to be much better than before.

What I wish to know is how did this happen within a gap of 1 hour and what can I do to avoid it. Additionally, I am taking muscle relaxants for a TMJ issue since yesterday so is it related? Finally, I have started taking Cod Liver oil supplement since 2 days (1 capsule in a day) as I was diagnosed with VIT D deficiency. Is it possible that its overdose of VIT A which is also present in the cod liver oil capsules.

I am basically very very panicked with the whole episode and would appreciate an answer.

Answer
Lily,
It is difficult to say exactly where the blur came from, but what you're describing isn't terribly unusual.  The most common source of this temporary blurred vision, especially after sleep, is ocular surface issues.  While we're asleep we don't blink our eyes, so no oil is released into the tear film.  If the eye get's too dry/irritated/etc (from too low oil), the surface of the cornea can have some slight swelling on it.  Many people get this frequently in the morning.  A few hours, and putting some drops in lubricate the surface and the swelling normally goes away.
There are other things it can be, so if it returns please make an appointment with your eye doctor.
Good Luck!
Dr.D

Ophthalmology & Optometry

John M. Dovie, OD, FAAO