Ophthalmology & Optometry/cataracts

I am 77 years old and am developing cataracts.  Several years ago I had the inner tear drains cauterized because of chronic dry eyes.  I wonder if this would be a problem for cataract surgery?

also, sometimes my vision is clear and other times it seems there is a film over them.  What causes this and is there a way clear up my eyesight at such times?

Am I likely to need glasses for driving and/or reading after cataract surgery?

Thank you for any information you can give me.

Dear Mary, if you have chronic dry eyes the chances are that you'll still need to address that after cataract surgery as well . Most patients after surgery do not require eyeglasses for distance viewing but do require reading glasses unless you opt for the multifocal or accommodation intraocular lens implant. Good luck. Dr Berger  

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Any and all questions with regard to ocular ailments, eye diseases as cataracts, glaucoma, macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy, etc , eye and visual sympomatology, eyeglasses, contact lenses, low or subnormal vision, pediatric vision conditions,and special and unique ailments will be discussed.

36 years of clinical experience in opticianry and therapeutic optometry. Still in private practice with special interests in vision conditions, diagnosing and treating ocular ailments, prescibing treatment plans which include medicine, eyeglasses, and contact lenses primarily. Although surgery is not within the realm of my area of expertise, I co-manage many pre and post -op surgical cases which include Lasik and PRK procedures.

New Jersey Society of Optometric Physicians American Optometric Association

B.A.,1968, Hunter College of the City University of New York B.S.,1970, Pennsylvania College of Optometry O.D.,1973, Pennsylvania College of Optometry Therapeutic Pharmaceutical Administration Certification, New Jersey 1992

Clinical Efficiency Award, 1973, Pennsylvaania College of Optometry