Ophthalmology & Optometry/Eye Exam-for upcoming mediation

Question
Hello. I read records and prepare the attorneys for mediation. I have a set of records in my hand, wherein this patient went for an eye exam. The physician's diagnoses are as follows:
"OD +225" Prism: "1 1/2"
"OS +55 degrees; Axis: 165; Prism: 1 1/2"

I have looked all over the internet to try to interpret what this eye exam and diagnoses mean. I cannot find anything except explanations for "OS or OD." Can you please give me this patient's diagnoses in laymen's terms? I would be so grateful.

Sherri

Answer
Sherri,

Thank you for the question. I'm am hear to help you as long as is needed to figure this out.

The prescription that you supplied is incomplete. It does have O.S. and O.D. which you have discovered is left and right, but neither contain all the information in a format I have ever seen, and I have filled Rx's from all over the world.

The Rx should be written In the following order. I'm using my phone to reply so it may not come out exactly as intended if not I will resend it tonight.

O.D. Sphere.  Cylinder.  Axis.  Add. Prism & Direction. Notes

O.S. Same as above

As an example would be

(+ or -) 2.25 (+ or -) 175 X (axis) 121 (0-180) add +2.50 Prism 3 diopters out and up (prism from .50 to 6 or more diopters is not uncommon. Directions for can be up, down, in or out or a logical combination of them.

As I though about it the sphere correction could be OD + 2.25 sph OS +5.50 sph. Sometime a doctor will abbreviate like that and while it can cause confusion they still do it. But that would still be only part of the answer as we still don't know where the prism goes or what the axis in the left is for.

Right eye +2.25 sph (the same as an over the counter reader) with one and a half diopters of prism.

Left eye One and a half diopters of prism
I have no idea what "+" 55 degrees means as degrees are neither plus or minus and tell you what direction the cylinder is to be placed in.

Can you email me a PDF of the document so I can look it over to see if I can better sort it out? As written it looks incomplete, I could not fill it as written and would call the doctor to verify it if it was given to me to fill.

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Robert Sobotor LDO