Ophthalmology & Optometry/progressive glasses

I can not find an answer or at least understand why progressive glasses give such a narrow horizontal sharp view. Why can't they make a glass just like a single reading glass +1 be all over the area except a smaller part on the bottom near the nose? Like the old bi-focal windowed glass, except going smoothly from +1 to +2?

thank you

That’s a very good question. There is a lens that has been made for decades and that I have had great success with that does what you are looking for; it is called a blended bi-focal. It is a glass lens that has the add power fused into the blank so it is seamless to the touch, and if you’re wearing it, it is as “invisible” as a progressive lens to people looking at you.

Several disadvantages to its use are that it is available only in glass which, for prescriptions greater than + or – two diopters of power, it begins to be much heavier than other materials.  Many labs no longer have the equipment to surface and mount glass lenses and even fewer can put it in a drill mount frame, so your frame selection is limited. Everyone eventually progresses to needing a trifocal and a wearing a progressive means you only have to adapt once to the progressive design and not twice, first to the bifocal and then to the trifocal. So that’s a benefit.

There are literally hundreds of progressive designs available and some of the old “hard” designs are a good option for people who want a clearly defined area to view near and far without all the ambiguity the “softer” designs give.

Briefly, “hard” designs offer the largest clear areas, but it comes at the expense of the non-viewing areas being all but useless for vision (no one really looks at things by looking left or right with just their eyes they turn their head at the same time so it is a non-issue for most people who understand the design limitations of their lenses). “Soft” designs were the result of the idea that a smoother transition would lead to a higher adaptation rate because so many “non-adapts” were attributed to the characteristics of the hard design instead of the poor instruction on how to use the lenses the industry gave them.
So to sum up your question, in order to give a wider area of visually usable lens you are required to create a commensurately more distorted area within the lens. You can vary that resulting distortion one of two ways, spread it out over a larger area affecting nearly all of the lens to some degree or compress it into smaller areas with many times the distortions, per surface area of the lens, but in fewer places.  

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Robert Sobotor LDO

Eye Glasses: fit, adjustment, and function Frames and Lenses: materials, benefits, limitations,progressive vs. bi-focal and adaptation Contact Lenses: tips on wearing, insertion and removal, comfort and proper cleaning and care Visual Complaints: Whether you have a history of unresolved visual complaints, never had a pair of glasses “feel right” or “I saw better out of my old pair” I can help troubleshoot visual complaints resulting from new glasses by determining, based on your observations and feelings, what the likely causes are and explaining them to you in a way that gives you a clear understanding and a shorter adaptation period. Contact lens Care: Tips and suggestions that I have used to teach first time contact lens wearers, even pre-teen and adolescent children, to quickly give them the skills and confidence to put in and remove their contact lenses. Tips on getting them in fast in the morning and out quickly at night without having that itchy feeling when you remove them. I can explain to you the makeup of the tear layer and how it can directly affect the comfort of your contacts based on little thing like computer use, heating and air in the car and office, that cloudy afternoon vision or dry feeling later in the day. Lens Recommendation: Based on your prescription I can advise what lens materials and designs are best suited to your needs and which ones to avoid as well as direction on frames designs that would complement the selection. Proper Frame Adjustment: I can help identify the problems associated with painful glasses that pinch, or squeeze. I can help you avoid getting a pair of glasses that constantly slide down your nose no matter how many times you get them adjusted. I can teach you what to look for in a frame that is right for you. I can explain how to look for a good quality frame that is not the most expensive in the room. I cannot diagnosis disease, prescribe or offer price specific advice or information.

My background is as a Licensed Optician with over twenty years experience. I have had industry-specific work published and held management positions with the largest optical retailing companies. I have had operational oversight of the dispensaries of both Ophthalmologists and Optometrists I have also held management positions in optical manufacturing to include specialty design RGP's and surface manufacturing, lens coating, and edging of spectacle lenses. My bench work, adjustment and repair, is in the tradition of the Guild opticians - focused on quality. I am proficient in all facets of eyewear, spectacle and Rigid Gas Permeable contact lens manufacture and modification. I provide an extension of the doctor’s standard of care throughout the entire dispensing process as I work with the patient to understand their diagnosis and develop the best solution toward remediation.

Eye Care Professional Magazine The Price Bluff- Relationship based business http://www.ecpmag.com/1webmagazine/2008/01jan/content/independent-ECP-pricing.asp Size Matters- The application of ANSI standards http://www.ecpmag.com/1webmagazine/2007/10oct/content/size-matters.asp

Licensed Dispensing Optician 1991 The American Board of Opticianry (ABO) certified 1990 National Contact Lens Examiners (NCLE) certificated 1991 Georgia State University 87-88 Oglethorpe University 03-04

Lens Crafters Presidents Pin for outstanding customer service