Ophthalmology & Optometry/Retina damage and drusans

Hello. I was diagnosed in 1989 with idiopathic subretinal neovascular membrane. I was 28 years old. The damage is in the center of my right eye. I have a large blind spot in the center, leaving only blotchy peripheral vision in that eye. I went to a retina specialist yesterday. He told me there is still no hope for the damaged eye. It was disheartening. But to make it worse, he said I have drusens in my good, left eye that he said are the precursor to macular degeneration. He told me to take ared-2 vitamins and come back in year. He wants to keep an "eye" on it. I am terrified. I have lived with limited vision for 26 years and always hoped that medicine would progress to give me some miracle cure. The fact that there is no help is something I can accept. But this new diagnosis in my good eye is devastating. Can you give me any further advice other than what I have been told already? He also said I have a high possibility of the condition in my bad eye happening to my good one. Help me please.

Unfortunately there is no reversal of macular degeneration but can slow the process down. Keep healthy by eating properly especially the daily intake of green leafy vegetables like spinach, kale, lettuce, broccoli,  wear polarized sunglasses outdoors always, never smoke, keep blood pressure normal , exercise daily, and take AREDS formula vitamins. If the dry type turns to
The wet variety there are intraocular injections like Lucentis which
May help   Good luck. dr berger  

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Any and all questions with regard to ocular ailments, eye diseases as cataracts, glaucoma, macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy, etc , eye and visual sympomatology, eyeglasses, contact lenses, low or subnormal vision, pediatric vision conditions,and special and unique ailments will be discussed.

36 years of clinical experience in opticianry and therapeutic optometry. Still in private practice with special interests in vision conditions, diagnosing and treating ocular ailments, prescibing treatment plans which include medicine, eyeglasses, and contact lenses primarily. Although surgery is not within the realm of my area of expertise, I co-manage many pre and post -op surgical cases which include Lasik and PRK procedures.

New Jersey Society of Optometric Physicians American Optometric Association

B.A.,1968, Hunter College of the City University of New York B.S.,1970, Pennsylvania College of Optometry O.D.,1973, Pennsylvania College of Optometry Therapeutic Pharmaceutical Administration Certification, New Jersey 1992

Clinical Efficiency Award, 1973, Pennsylvaania College of Optometry