Ophthalmology & Optometry/anisocoria?

Question
Hi there my 2 year old sometimes has unequal pupils, shes farsighted and wears glasses and has done for three months, she see an eye doctor 2weeks ago for a different reason he did a dilated eye exam and never said anything about her pupils, the difference is only very slight and no one else can notice the difference apart from me, she has no other symptoms and both pupils react to light the same its only in dim light i can see the difference, i looked back on some old photos of her when she was a baby and i can see this pupil difference in them but only when the flash is used, when i take photos of her in light the pupils look the same, is this benign anisocoria? She sees the eye doctor again friday for a checkup with her glasses so i shall mention it to him, do you think i should be worried about this? Can i just add she also has a squint more in the left eye which is to do with her refraction error, Thanks.

Answer
Danielle,
Thanks for your question. Many people (including myself) have a benign, or physiologic, anisocoria.  That being said, anisocoria could also be the sign of some specific, and potentially serious, nerve problems.  I would ask the eye doctor to take another look, being very specific about what you are concerned about so they can take appropriate measurements.  Measure the pupils in bright light and dim light, look at the eyelid, brow, and other things around the eye. Take her in for an expert opinion and get the OK.
Good Luck!
Dr.D

Ophthalmology & Optometry

John M. Dovie, OD, FAAO