Ophthalmology & Optometry/Collagen Cross Linking

Question
One of my friend is diagnosed with Keratoconus last year. She is been pointing out vision problem for 4 to 5 years. And the doctor has recommended her to undergo Collagen CrossLinking (CXL). I want to ask that how effective it is likely to be? How many patients who undergo CXL do not complain further progression of Keratoconus? Is this the lifelong treatment? Will she be needing Corneal Transplant after some years? Kindly help me out.. She is currently 18 years 9 months old and has been suffering vision problem for 4 to 5  years. Please try to answer all of my questions.

Answer
Dear Jahanzaib Aslam,

CXL Corneal collagen crosslinking makes corneal collagens bonding stonger thus makes the cornea stronger and prevents or slows down progression of Keratoconus.

Later after 6-8 months of CXL she should start wearing Corneal RGP OR Scleral RGP lenses for clear vision and slowing down progression of Keratoconus.

For Now she should go ahead with CXL.

Don`t even think of cornea transplant for now.

Regards

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Optom. Amit Sharma