Ophthalmology & Optometry/Mid-index frames

Question
Hello, hope you are well. My question deals with how to approach an optician regarding buying new glasses in 2015, as opposed to 2005, when I last did it.  

I have astigmatism in both eyes. The sphere and Cylinder number range from -1.00 to -3.00.

I bought a new pair of mid-index (not high-index) lenses that were recommended because the power correction was not higher than -3.00. It's very important to note that my prescription has been stable for 10 years. There was no change.

Unfortunately, I had an immediate "fish bowl" experience when I picked them up, accompanied by severe nausea that wouldn't subside, even after hours of wearing them continuously. I Googled "fish bowl" and copious sites pop up with people complaining of the horrors of high index glasses.

I returned the glasses. The optician put up a fight. So, I'm not going back there again.

I am going to go to a new random optician, and order new glasses, but are we stuck with these horrible "thin" lenses now? I just want what I currently have - thick plastic, dependable and ugly, with anti-glare. Do they still sell these? What is the term they use for them now? Thank you in advance and have a great day.

Answer
Hi Taylor,
You'll want to specify CR39 material with the antireflection coating. it will be nice with your mild Rx. These days you'll be pushed for an 'HD' or 'digital' lens design. they are good, especially since the high index materials used have inherently poorer optics with color and other distortions. Good luck with them, and ask about base curve when you see the optician. Thanks,
Mitch Axelrod, OD

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Mitchell Axelrod