Ophthalmology & Optometry/eye infection possibly

Question
Hi Dr. I am 39 and currently going through a chest cold(no fever). Today as I blew my nose (I don't know how really) some white snot ejected in my right eye.  Is there s chance of infection?

Answer
Hi Anta,
It sounds like you have a viral syndrome; if the eye becomes infected it would be red and feel/look bad. Or if the area between the inner corner of the eye and the nose becomes red or swollen or tender then there may be an infection of the lacrimal drainage system. The discharge you saw isn't anything to be alarmed about on its own, however. Even when the eye gets a viral infection, there isn't a quick fix and it takes a week or so to resolve.
Hope you feel better soon,
Mitch Axelrod, OD  

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Mitchell Axelrod