Ophthalmology & Optometry/fuzzy, confusing combined vision

Diagnosis and medication prescription
Diagnosis and medicati  
Prescription chart
Prescription chart  

I hope you are good. I am Khawaja Omar from Lahore, Pakistan. Sir, I'm having an issue with my recently prescribed glasses. Sir about 8 years ago I had an injury in my right eye. doctor diagnosed (Re Conj. Hemorrhage, Corneal Abrasion and Traumatic Uveitis. Doctor gave me medication for it and it healed up in about 2-3 weeks. at that time he recorded my visual acuity as 6/12 RE and 6/6 LE.

Sir, since then I never cared for my eyes and never went to the doctor for eye sight checkup meanwhile. Now after 8 years I started to feel that my right eye's sight is blurred (near and distance both). when I put my hand on right eye, I see clear. and when I put hand on my left eye, I cant see anything clear (near and distance both). its all very blurry and out of focus. and with both eyes opened, I can see clearly and thats because I suppose my brain is habitual of getting image from left eye which is also my dominant eye. Now last week before going to the doctor I did some research on the internet and I got an idea that I am having astigmatism in right eye. to get it more clear and have a cure for it, I visited the doctor on 22.06.2015.

The Doctor checked my eyes through auto refractor and subjective refraction. and he also checked my eyes through a machine which was connected to a led screen. after checking he diagnosed Anisometropia and Hypermetropia in Right eye. on the prescription chart he prescribed in distance column: {(right eye) sph+1.75, cyl+1.25, axis 15°, VA 4/18}
{(left eye) sph= nil, cyl=+0.75, axis 180°, VA 6/6.}

Sir, during the subjective refraction exam, doctor managed to completely neutralize the error in my left eye and I could read everything very sharply. but in right eye, though it got better with powers he added, but not not fully and completely naturalized. for this the doctor said that "your eye will get exercised with the glasses I have prescribed and will get better eventually".

Sir, I got the glasses made very next day and I also got them rechecked from the doctor and one other optician shop. they said glasses are made accurately according to the prescription.

Now the problem is that when I wear these glasses, my combined vision of both eyes (with glasses on) is kind of blurry, fuzzy, bit mixed up or you can say confusing image with a bit strain at the back of my eyes. and with glasses on, when I cover right eye, I see everything perfect and sharply focused and distinct. and when I cover my left eye, I see as clear as during that subjective eye exam (far better than without glasses). Sir I cant understand that why I am having blurred, mixed up and indistinct vision with both eyes (glasses on). although everything gets clear and focused when I cover either eye.

Sir please tell me how can I resolve this issue. I went to the doctor again and told him everything as it is and he just said you'll have to get used to with the glasses in about 10 days. Sir but I am not satisfied as I cant walk, cant focus and cant drive with these glasses on as combined vision from both eyes is unfocused and fuzzy.

Sir please help me with this issue. kindly tell me what is actually causing it and should I keep on wearing these glasses or not?

I will anxiously await your kind reply. Thank You.

Khawaja Omar.

ANSWER: Khawaja Omar,

I liked your question! It took me a few minutes to sort it all out and I am pretty sure I can tell you what is going on and that it WILL get better.

The key to the difficulty you are having is that the Rx’s are different for each eye. The diagnosis Anisometropia is describing that your eyes have unequal refractive power. What that means for you is that one image focused on the back of one of your eyes is larger than the other and your brain has to merge those two disparate images into one.

Your brain did the same thing over the course of the last eight years. As you vision slowly got worse in your right eye your brain compensated for the difference and it was when you compared the left and right that you noticed the difference. With this pair of glasses your vision has improved in both eyes, when you look through your glasses one eye at a time, but it will take some time for your brain to make those images match and give you comfortable binocular vision.

I have seen this many times and can reasonably assure you that with wear, and in a few weeks you will feel much better. I know it is hard to process how you can see well out of both eyes individually but not at the same time, but remember your eyes just gather light, your brain sees. The weird feeling you are experiencing is, in part, your brain learning.

QUESTION: Sir Thanks a lot for the so kind and generous detailed reply. I must tell you that I sent the same question to 3 more doctors on this website. one gave me a very short and a bit confusing reply and one other doctor Mr. Berger simply replied with a sorry for not answering because question is too long and and he would have to get involved in it to answer saying that he only replies to short questions on this free service. So I appreciate your great humanity from the depth of my heart. your answer is very much satisfying. Believe me Sir I had kept the glasses in the box but after reading your reply I have them on now.

So now I will keep them on for some weeks. I visited the doctor and he said that you should not wear them while walking or driving until your vision with them gets clear. he told me to wear it while sitting and watching tv. Plus the doctor told me that my right eye's vision error is not completely correctable with glasses. and same is apparent on prescription chart. left eye's best acuity is 6/6 and right eye's best acuity is 4/18 even after glasses. So please tell me Sir what other options do I have for the perfect correction of this error in my right eye?

I once again Thank you for your kindness. May God best reward you.

Best wishes and kindest regards.

Khawaja Omar.

Khawaja Omar,

It was my pleasure to be of assistance. I am humbled by your gratitude. It is more warmly appreciated than you could know.

Unfortunately, even with the diagnosis and Rx I don't have enough information to be certain of this advice but it is worth asking your doctor. I do not know the exact causes for the limited acuity in your right eye. If could be scaring resulting from your injury of eight or so years ago sufficient that you might not be able to do anything. But if the reason is from a slight to modest amount of corneal irregularity caused by the injury perhaps a contact lens would yield better vision. How much better? I could not say. Maybe not at all. But I would ask your doctor if you are a candidate for a rigid gas permeable lens, if that would help.

Because a contact lens rests on your eye the tear layer between your eye and the back of the contact lens fills in irregularities that a spectacle lens cannot.

And if you are unable to attain perfect vision in your right eye do not let it discourage you. It is not an uncommon condition to have one eye see better than the other, even the amount you describe.  

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Robert Sobotor LDO

Eye Glasses: fit, adjustment, and function Frames and Lenses: materials, benefits, limitations,progressive vs. bi-focal and adaptation Contact Lenses: tips on wearing, insertion and removal, comfort and proper cleaning and care Visual Complaints: Whether you have a history of unresolved visual complaints, never had a pair of glasses “feel right” or “I saw better out of my old pair” I can help troubleshoot visual complaints resulting from new glasses by determining, based on your observations and feelings, what the likely causes are and explaining them to you in a way that gives you a clear understanding and a shorter adaptation period. Contact lens Care: Tips and suggestions that I have used to teach first time contact lens wearers, even pre-teen and adolescent children, to quickly give them the skills and confidence to put in and remove their contact lenses. Tips on getting them in fast in the morning and out quickly at night without having that itchy feeling when you remove them. I can explain to you the makeup of the tear layer and how it can directly affect the comfort of your contacts based on little thing like computer use, heating and air in the car and office, that cloudy afternoon vision or dry feeling later in the day. Lens Recommendation: Based on your prescription I can advise what lens materials and designs are best suited to your needs and which ones to avoid as well as direction on frames designs that would complement the selection. Proper Frame Adjustment: I can help identify the problems associated with painful glasses that pinch, or squeeze. I can help you avoid getting a pair of glasses that constantly slide down your nose no matter how many times you get them adjusted. I can teach you what to look for in a frame that is right for you. I can explain how to look for a good quality frame that is not the most expensive in the room. I cannot diagnosis disease, prescribe or offer price specific advice or information.

My background is as a Licensed Optician with over twenty years experience. I have had industry-specific work published and held management positions with the largest optical retailing companies. I have had operational oversight of the dispensaries of both Ophthalmologists and Optometrists I have also held management positions in optical manufacturing to include specialty design RGP's and surface manufacturing, lens coating, and edging of spectacle lenses. My bench work, adjustment and repair, is in the tradition of the Guild opticians - focused on quality. I am proficient in all facets of eyewear, spectacle and Rigid Gas Permeable contact lens manufacture and modification. I provide an extension of the doctor’s standard of care throughout the entire dispensing process as I work with the patient to understand their diagnosis and develop the best solution toward remediation.

Eye Care Professional Magazine The Price Bluff- Relationship based business Size Matters- The application of ANSI standards

Licensed Dispensing Optician 1991 The American Board of Opticianry (ABO) certified 1990 National Contact Lens Examiners (NCLE) certificated 1991 Georgia State University 87-88 Oglethorpe University 03-04

Lens Crafters Presidents Pin for outstanding customer service