Ophthalmology & Optometry/Optiscan

Question
My husband is 65 years old and had his first eye exam using the retinal imagery machine called Optiscan in lieu of a dilation exam. His images showed what the optometrist said were amyloid plaques that could be the first signs of Alzheimers disease and also what she called " golden flecks" that might be the first signs of macular degeneration. She scheduled him for a more in depth laser exam in 6 weeks. I have several questions:
1) How accurate is this test in predicting Alzheimers Disease?
2) How accurate is this test in diagnosing macular degeneration and
3) What is this in depth laser test and why are we waiting 6 weeks?

Thank you in advance for your answers. Before the eye exam today, I thought my husband was in perfect health and now I am concerned!

Answer
The golden flax on the retina to which you refer,  are called Drusen and is now considered to be the early stages of beginning macular degeneration for which there is currently no treatment however anti-oxidant nutritional support in the form of AREDS formula , have been proven to slow the progression of the disease by some 25 to 30% in addition the cessation of smoking ,wearing polarized sunglasses ,and consuming green leafy vegetables daily seems to help as well as Vitamin therapy, HAVE BEEN PROVEN TO SLOW THE PROGRESSION OF THE DISEASE BY SOME 25 TO 30%. IN ADDITION THE CESSATION OF SMOKING WEARING POLARIZED SUNGLASSES AND CONSUMING GREEN LEAFY VEGETABLES DAILY SEEMS TO HELP AS WELL OCT TESTING And RETINAL PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE STANDARD OF CARE    As  far as amyloid plaques and it's correlation to Alzheimers Disease  ,it seems to be connected but not conclusive at this point hope this helps. Dr Berger

Ophthalmology & Optometry

DR. KENNETH BERGER