Ophthalmology & Optometry/Angles

I wanted to build my own stereoscopic adapter for my camera and was wondering what the average distance is between most people's eyes and the most comfortable angle between the eyes when focusing on an object?

Hi James,
I'm not an expert for stereoscopic photography, and they exist. There are also forums and groups that deal with  that. It has changed a lot over the last decade going from film to digital. To answer you question, an average PD (interpupillary distance) is around 6 cm. It varies by race and head size. Most doctors focus 'near' reading distance at 40 cm. and far is infinity. You can do the geometry or use an online calculator for an isosceles or right triangle for the angles if needed.
Good luck,
Mitch Axelrod,OD  

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Mitchell Axelrod

I'm happy to answer questions about eye exam findings and procedures, glasses and contact lens types/prescriptions/problems. I can also answer questions about general eye conditions/diseases. I do not answer questions concerning surgical techniques/procedures. Please state your age or within a small range when asking questions, as it is often important.

Optometrist 19 yrs.

Doctor of Optometry, cum laude; Residency in Ocular Disease