Ophthalmology & Optometry/Eyeglass Prescription

My son just got his new glasses in and is complaining that he can't see as well with these than the old pair. It seems to me that his prescription changed drastically, would you please confirm that it did & is it okay for him to go with this new prescription?

Old 2014: right sphere  0.0 cylinder -2.25 axis 100
         left  sphere  0.5 cylinder -3.25 axis 90
New 2015: right sphere -2.50 cylinder +2.50 axis 20
         left  sphere -2.75 cylinder +2.50 axis 170

Traci. Your son has quite a bit of astigmatism and the prescription change from his old to his new Rx is primarily a shift in the axis -where every degree of change can be critical.  If he says he's blurry have him rechecked  you didn't mention his age as his responses are critical often times to the final result . Another possibility is that the prescription he got is indeed accurate and there's a window of adaptation time of about a week but I would have him rechecked or get another opinion. By the way the prescriptions appear vastly different but one is written in plus cylinder form and the other is in minus cylinder form but the main difference again is the axis.   Hope this helps.  Dr Berger  

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Any and all questions with regard to ocular ailments, eye diseases as cataracts, glaucoma, macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy, etc , eye and visual sympomatology, eyeglasses, contact lenses, low or subnormal vision, pediatric vision conditions,and special and unique ailments will be discussed.

36 years of clinical experience in opticianry and therapeutic optometry. Still in private practice with special interests in vision conditions, diagnosing and treating ocular ailments, prescibing treatment plans which include medicine, eyeglasses, and contact lenses primarily. Although surgery is not within the realm of my area of expertise, I co-manage many pre and post -op surgical cases which include Lasik and PRK procedures.

New Jersey Society of Optometric Physicians American Optometric Association

B.A.,1968, Hunter College of the City University of New York B.S.,1970, Pennsylvania College of Optometry O.D.,1973, Pennsylvania College of Optometry Therapeutic Pharmaceutical Administration Certification, New Jersey 1992

Clinical Efficiency Award, 1973, Pennsylvaania College of Optometry