Ophthalmology & Optometry/Essilor and blue light

QUESTION: Hi Mr. Sobotor, I'm looking for eyeglasses that block blue light so that light at night won't affect my sleep. I read that the Essilor sells  that blocks blue light allows "beneficial blue light". Does that beneficial blue light affect sleep?

ANSWER: Hashem,

You pose a very timely question. There has been a great deal of information printed about blue light and its potential harmful effect on the human eye. There are many companies now making products that address blue light so your options are increasing.

The "beneficial blue light" is blue light of lower energy. It represents the majority of the blue colors in the visible spectrum. You want exposure to that for, among other things, good balanced color vision and to help regulate you sleep cycle. So wearing lenses designed to filter that type of blue light will allow in what is needed but not the harmful light or light that can disrupt your sleep cycle.

Another thing to note is that computer use, video game play, and other similar electronic devices should be stopped a few hours before going to sleep. These devices emit light that can cause disturbances in your sleep cycle. I actually sell a "gamers" lens that filters that light out and use it even if there is no prescription needed.

QUESTION: I try not to use my laptop 4-5 hours before sleep. However,I intend to use these glasses if I have to go somewhere at evening/night that has lots of artificial light, especially LED light, like the TV room. Am I better off with a lens that blocks the beneficial blue light or one that blocks it if I only use the glasses in the few hours before bed time?

If I understand your question, "Should I wear the blue blocking lenses all day or just at night when I am going to be in a lot of artificial light?" my suggestion would be to wear them all day. Many people report more comfortable vision and a reduction in stress around the eyes that was not noticed prior to wearing the lenses.  

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Robert Sobotor LDO

Eye Glasses: fit, adjustment, and function Frames and Lenses: materials, benefits, limitations,progressive vs. bi-focal and adaptation Contact Lenses: tips on wearing, insertion and removal, comfort and proper cleaning and care Visual Complaints: Whether you have a history of unresolved visual complaints, never had a pair of glasses “feel right” or “I saw better out of my old pair” I can help troubleshoot visual complaints resulting from new glasses by determining, based on your observations and feelings, what the likely causes are and explaining them to you in a way that gives you a clear understanding and a shorter adaptation period. Contact lens Care: Tips and suggestions that I have used to teach first time contact lens wearers, even pre-teen and adolescent children, to quickly give them the skills and confidence to put in and remove their contact lenses. Tips on getting them in fast in the morning and out quickly at night without having that itchy feeling when you remove them. I can explain to you the makeup of the tear layer and how it can directly affect the comfort of your contacts based on little thing like computer use, heating and air in the car and office, that cloudy afternoon vision or dry feeling later in the day. Lens Recommendation: Based on your prescription I can advise what lens materials and designs are best suited to your needs and which ones to avoid as well as direction on frames designs that would complement the selection. Proper Frame Adjustment: I can help identify the problems associated with painful glasses that pinch, or squeeze. I can help you avoid getting a pair of glasses that constantly slide down your nose no matter how many times you get them adjusted. I can teach you what to look for in a frame that is right for you. I can explain how to look for a good quality frame that is not the most expensive in the room. I cannot diagnosis disease, prescribe or offer price specific advice or information.

My background is as a Licensed Optician with over twenty years experience. I have had industry-specific work published and held management positions with the largest optical retailing companies. I have had operational oversight of the dispensaries of both Ophthalmologists and Optometrists I have also held management positions in optical manufacturing to include specialty design RGP's and surface manufacturing, lens coating, and edging of spectacle lenses. My bench work, adjustment and repair, is in the tradition of the Guild opticians - focused on quality. I am proficient in all facets of eyewear, spectacle and Rigid Gas Permeable contact lens manufacture and modification. I provide an extension of the doctor’s standard of care throughout the entire dispensing process as I work with the patient to understand their diagnosis and develop the best solution toward remediation.

Eye Care Professional Magazine The Price Bluff- Relationship based business http://www.ecpmag.com/1webmagazine/2008/01jan/content/independent-ECP-pricing.asp Size Matters- The application of ANSI standards http://www.ecpmag.com/1webmagazine/2007/10oct/content/size-matters.asp

Licensed Dispensing Optician 1991 The American Board of Opticianry (ABO) certified 1990 National Contact Lens Examiners (NCLE) certificated 1991 Georgia State University 87-88 Oglethorpe University 03-04

Lens Crafters Presidents Pin for outstanding customer service