Ophthalmology & Optometry/black football shaped shadow in my vision

Question
I have a black football shaped shadow in my vision.  I can not see through it and it covers about 40% of my vision.  I immediately went to my eye doctor because I have had a detached retina in my other eye and thought this was the same thing happening again.

After a thorough exam I was told that it is not a detached retina and he thinks that it will clear up on its own but does want to see me in five weeks for a check up.

Do you have any suggestions on what this might be and can I do anything in the meantime to help clear it up.  I also see little pinwheels of light around it.

Answer
So long as there's no retinal detachment or retinal tear it is most likely a posterior vitreous detachment or vitreous floaters if it's extremely annoying to you you can have it lasered by a procedure: vitreolysis .speak to your ophthalmologist about the procedure   Dr Berger  

Ophthalmology & Optometry

DR. KENNETH BERGER