Ophthalmology & Optometry/multifocal glasses for PC and distance

multifocal PC glasses
multifocal PC glasses  

I now by now (50 yo man) that multifocal glasses have a more narrow middle part. but why can't they have a wider middle (pc-working) part and have the bottom (reading) more narrow? Why can't they cut out only the upper half from a glass twice the size?
I hardly read anything so I don't mind moving my head from left to right when I do need to read something. Though working with a pc is 70% of my time.
I added a picture where if the blue part would have twice the size, the red part is what I would like to have. Only the blue part needs to be also be twice as strong.

It is a question I have gotten many times before. The short answer is that to create a lens with variable power an area of unwanted optical qualities is created and those areas have to go somewhere. Some place them in areas that make the reading area smaller and some place them in areas that make the distance or intermediate areas smaller. It has always been a compromise and the focus has been to give you as clear a distance view as possible with reading and intermediate being considered less important. Overall that has worked reasonably well. People can see to drive and with a little effort they can also read a little.

You're in luck. They also make computer glasses that have what you are looking for. The top of the lens is essentially a large intermediate area and the bottom is for reading. You can sit in an office that is three meters square or a work station or office cubical and see everything with relative ease. From the wall to the computer all easily in focus and still have an area at the bottom for reading.

I don't know what brands are available where you live but just go to a reputable optical shop and ask what they have in the way of computer lenses. There should be at least half a dozen options depending on what your prescription is and the frames you wear.

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Robert Sobotor LDO

Eye Glasses: fit, adjustment, and function Frames and Lenses: materials, benefits, limitations,progressive vs. bi-focal and adaptation Contact Lenses: tips on wearing, insertion and removal, comfort and proper cleaning and care Visual Complaints: Whether you have a history of unresolved visual complaints, never had a pair of glasses “feel right” or “I saw better out of my old pair” I can help troubleshoot visual complaints resulting from new glasses by determining, based on your observations and feelings, what the likely causes are and explaining them to you in a way that gives you a clear understanding and a shorter adaptation period. Contact lens Care: Tips and suggestions that I have used to teach first time contact lens wearers, even pre-teen and adolescent children, to quickly give them the skills and confidence to put in and remove their contact lenses. Tips on getting them in fast in the morning and out quickly at night without having that itchy feeling when you remove them. I can explain to you the makeup of the tear layer and how it can directly affect the comfort of your contacts based on little thing like computer use, heating and air in the car and office, that cloudy afternoon vision or dry feeling later in the day. Lens Recommendation: Based on your prescription I can advise what lens materials and designs are best suited to your needs and which ones to avoid as well as direction on frames designs that would complement the selection. Proper Frame Adjustment: I can help identify the problems associated with painful glasses that pinch, or squeeze. I can help you avoid getting a pair of glasses that constantly slide down your nose no matter how many times you get them adjusted. I can teach you what to look for in a frame that is right for you. I can explain how to look for a good quality frame that is not the most expensive in the room. I cannot diagnosis disease, prescribe or offer price specific advice or information.

My background is as a Licensed Optician with over twenty years experience. I have had industry-specific work published and held management positions with the largest optical retailing companies. I have had operational oversight of the dispensaries of both Ophthalmologists and Optometrists I have also held management positions in optical manufacturing to include specialty design RGP's and surface manufacturing, lens coating, and edging of spectacle lenses. My bench work, adjustment and repair, is in the tradition of the Guild opticians - focused on quality. I am proficient in all facets of eyewear, spectacle and Rigid Gas Permeable contact lens manufacture and modification. I provide an extension of the doctor’s standard of care throughout the entire dispensing process as I work with the patient to understand their diagnosis and develop the best solution toward remediation.

Eye Care Professional Magazine The Price Bluff- Relationship based business Size Matters- The application of ANSI standards

Licensed Dispensing Optician 1991 The American Board of Opticianry (ABO) certified 1990 National Contact Lens Examiners (NCLE) certificated 1991 Georgia State University 87-88 Oglethorpe University 03-04

Lens Crafters Presidents Pin for outstanding customer service