Ophthalmology & Optometry/multiple CHRPE

Question
Hello.  My 10 year old son had his annual eye exam and they found multiple CHRPE (50 or more, very small) in each eye when they did the optomap.  He goes yearly and this is the first time if has been mentioned.  They were not concerned but I am going to follow-up with my doc and get a referral to a gastro just in case to check him for FAP.  I keep looking for information on the general population.  In your experience, is it possible to have multiple CHRPE lesions bilaterally and it NOT be related to FAP/Gardner's/Tricot syndrome?  I am looking for a shred of hope that my son doesn't have a chance of getting this devastating disease.  Thank you.  Sue

Answer
Hi Cindy,
I do not know enough about these entities to help, but you did not mention any family history regarding fap, etc. I would probably ask about a visit to a geneticist to help determine risk and worry issues.
I hope all news you get is reassuring.
Mitch Axelrod OD

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Mitchell Axelrod