Ophthalmology & Optometry/Contact lenses

Question
Hi there,

I have had myopia(c. -2.5 in each eye) since the age of 9. I am now 42 and have decided to pay for orthokeratology contact-lenses. The idea being to wear them at night so that they reshape the cornea and allow me to see perfectly during the day. I had read about the negligible  side-effects involved and was looking forward to the whole business. The trouble is that I went for my first "fitting" session and thought it would be easy. It wasn't! It took me 5 or 10 minutes to fit the first contact-lens into my right eye, and I was unable, after a full hour, to put the 2nd contact-lens into my left eye. The ophthalmologist simply told me to practise for 10 minutes a day until my next session next week. I have to prise my upper eyelid at the outer end with the thumb of my left hand, while using the middle finger of my right hand to move the lower eyelid down and then insert the contact-lens over the pupil. I kept on failing to insert it into the eye or, worse, inserting it in the area of the eye nearest the nose. I had no idea contact-lenses were so difficult to put on. I had expected the lens to be much bigger with me just having to slip the top bit into the upper eyelid and then slipping the bottom bit into the lower eyelid. Any suggestions/help would be appreciated! I have considered other methods such as LASIK/PRK but there are so many reported side-effects for those and I absolutely hate wearing glasses(I can still read and watch TV  without them, thank god). Thanks!

Answer
I understand your dilemma.  I am not a proponent of orthokeratology: 1. Uncomfortable 2 . difficult to
Insert and remove 3 . Results are temporary and cannot be predicted accurately. 4. Patients seem to
Lose a lot of lenses.    Both
My daughters have undergone LASIK
And are very happy   .  Can see without glasses. At your age however , you can ask the refractive surgeon ( who has good results with
Hundreds of patients) about under correcting your non dominant eye so you can read ;
Otherwise you will probably need reading glasses for paperwork, computer, reading .  This is money well spend if you do not want to wear eyeglasses or soft hydrogel contact lenses.  Good luck.  Dr Berger

Further. Didn't your Dr show you the size of the corneal contact lens, presumably rigid gas permeable (RGP) , PRIOR to your fitting and financial commitment , and give you a trial run of insertion and removal techniques, to see if you even handle the contact lens before going further?   Dr Berger

Ophthalmology & Optometry

DR. KENNETH BERGER