Ophthalmology & Optometry/Swollen, itchy eye

Right eye
Right eye  
Hi Dr Berger

For the past week my eyes have been insanely itchy, to the point where i can't resist rubbing. In particular, it is especially swollen and itchy in the inside corner (see pic) and I find that I am a lot more teary and my eyes hurt at times. I have assumed my allergies are acting up and have been using allergy drops and warm compress to alleviate it. From the pic provided, does it look like the itchiness is caused by allergies or does it seem like an infection? Any self-care tips would be appreciated as i'm longing to be rid of the itchiness and swelling!

Firstly cool compresses work better than warm compresses for ocular itching and swelling . Secondly if it's allergy related you may want to try over-the-counter eyedrops  like Naphcon A, opconA , or  Zaditor.  If you are no better than three or four days then my suggestion is to visit an eye doctor for further diagnosis and treatment. Good luck. Dr Berger

PS. Benedryl tablets may also help for the itching and swelling  

Ophthalmology & Optometry

Any and all questions with regard to ocular ailments, eye diseases as cataracts, glaucoma, macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy, etc , eye and visual sympomatology, eyeglasses, contact lenses, low or subnormal vision, pediatric vision conditions,and special and unique ailments will be discussed.

36 years of clinical experience in opticianry and therapeutic optometry. Still in private practice with special interests in vision conditions, diagnosing and treating ocular ailments, prescibing treatment plans which include medicine, eyeglasses, and contact lenses primarily. Although surgery is not within the realm of my area of expertise, I co-manage many pre and post -op surgical cases which include Lasik and PRK procedures.

New Jersey Society of Optometric Physicians American Optometric Association

B.A.,1968, Hunter College of the City University of New York B.S.,1970, Pennsylvania College of Optometry O.D.,1973, Pennsylvania College of Optometry Therapeutic Pharmaceutical Administration Certification, New Jersey 1992

Clinical Efficiency Award, 1973, Pennsylvaania College of Optometry