Ophthalmology & Optometry/Lasik Surgery for the elderly

Question
QUESTION: When considering lasik surgery for the eyes, what are some things to keep in mind for a person 62 years old and wear bifocal.  She has no stigmatism, glaucoma,  or dry eyes,

Any tips will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

ANSWER: Most surgeons avoid lasik in anyone over 55 because cataracts are likely preent adn will complicate the visual process. Most patients over 60 have cataracts to the point that they are 'ripe' or ready for surgery, and with advances in cataract surgical techniques, the outcome is almost as good and predictable as LASIK.
A consult with your eye doctor would certainly give more information.
Good luck.
Dr.D

QUESTION: Thank you for the information. What did you mean by the statement Most surgeons avoid lasik in anyone over 55 because cataracts are likely preent adn will complicate the visual process.

What is preent adn

Thanks in advance.

Answer
What I mean by that is because of cataracts, which is present in nearly every individual over 55, can complicate the LASIK process.  Vision can fluctuate and change rapidly with cataracts - most surgeons don't want the patient returning in 1-2 years upset because they can't see well and blame it on the LASIK 'gone bad,' etc.  Surgeon's preference, that's all.

Ophthalmology & Optometry

John M. Dovie, OD, FAAO