Oracle/Working with Oracle Database

QUESTION: I have just started working with Oracle Database and Oracle EBS application and I have 7 months of experience. So I would like to enhance my skills and be able to master DBA activities so what should I do if I want to be a good DBA?

ANSWER: Hi Daniel,

Welcome to the world of Oracle! The work of a DBA is never ending, and can touch various areas within the System development life cycle (SDLC) (e.g. from concept, design, to implementation).

There are 2 things that you would need to keep in mind: Oracle database administration, and how Oracle EBS interacts with the DB.

To learn about the Oracle DB: there is a several free refernece from Oracle:
- Database Concepts:
- 2-Day DBA:

Some more advance reading and information:
- Adminsitrator's Guide:
- Refernce:
- Performance Tuning:

Understanding how EBS works
- EBS Developer's Guide:
- EBS System's Administrator Guide-Configuration:
- EBS Concepts:

Hopefully this information will be able to help you get a head start in your new guest to explore and learn more abou Oracle!

QUESTION: Thanks alot with the answer I received. And next year I want to write Oracle DBA certification exams but I don't have any study materials, where can I find the study materials?

Hi Daniel,

Sybex publishes a single OCA/OCP kit or 2 separate books (OCA AND OCP) that you can use as a study guide.

There are also a number of courses that you can take in your locale through an authorized Oracle education location or some colleges/university also offer the courses with the OCA/OCP exam at the end of the session.

I hope this helps.

Peter Choi

I am a senior Oracle DBA, PeopleSoft HCM specialist and Project Manager with 15+ years experience. I have been working with PeopleSoft (HRMS/HCM 5, 7, 7.x and 8.9, 9.x), Oracle RDBMS (7.3 - 11gR2) on various Unix and MS-Windows platforms, and some Oracle Application Server (9i - 11gR1). I also have experience with the configuration and administration of PeopleSoft's Internet Architecture (PIA) and the Oracle 11g Fusion Middleware and Oracle Business Intelligence (OBI).