Hello Sir,
I am a third year student of engineering in computer science..I want to make my future carrier in database administration..But i m so confused about future carrier paths.. Does there any courses or certifications i can do in between graduation..??I know ORACLE 9i and 10g little bit..what can i do for get more knowledge about oracle 10g..??

Hi Bhagyashri,

If you are looking in a future career as a database administration, it would help that you stay as current as possible with new technologies. For example, Oracle 11gR2 is the latest version that is in production. Of course, it may depend in your locale what technologies are in production use that will dictate which version you'll be working on. Note that Oracle 9i is curretly out of Oracle support and 10gR2 Oracle Extended Support ends July 2013.

You can take the OCA/OCP certification exam externally. However if it is offered through your studies (university or college) as course, I would most certainly recommend that you take it. The OCA/OCP is a 2-part exam that certifies that you are an Oracle DBA practioner. While it provides the theory, it does also help to have a bit of hands-on experience.

If you are looking in a a career as a DBA, you may want to learn more about the Database Technologies. Oracle has a great introduction to its database here:

There are also a number of books that you can purchase that will help you grow your knowledge and expertise over time:

I hope this helps.

Peter Choi

I am a senior Oracle DBA, PeopleSoft HCM specialist and Project Manager with 15+ years experience. I have been working with PeopleSoft (HRMS/HCM 5, 7, 7.x and 8.9, 9.x), Oracle RDBMS (7.3 - 11gR2) on various Unix and MS-Windows platforms, and some Oracle Application Server (9i - 11gR1). I also have experience with the configuration and administration of PeopleSoft's Internet Architecture (PIA) and the Oracle 11g Fusion Middleware and Oracle Business Intelligence (OBI).