Oracle/whether to learn ODI or DBA

Question
Hi sir,
       I m Btech 2012 passed out,at present i m working in a small company in MYSQL.I learned SQL*PLUS and PLSQL.Now I was intrested to do a course, but i was in a confusion whether to learn ODI or DBA. Suggest me by doing which course I can have a bright future...

Answer
HI Phani,

ODI and DBA are two very different career progression. ODI is a very developer oriented path which deals primarily with data transformation (conversion, ETL (Extract, Transform, Load), data mapping, etc.) and requires a heavy understanding of the business rules to be able to complete successfully. ODI can also be used in large data warehouse projects and for Service-Oriented-Architecture (SOA) services.

DBA on the other hand is the management of the database (data repository). For this role, you need to understand how the Oracle database works (in great detail), understand how SQL (or PL/SQL) queries are parsed and executed by the Oracle optimization engine, the underlying operating system and in some instance the network by which the database server is connected to.

You should take a market scan of your local area to see what is in greater demand: database administration or data transformantion/conversion/warehouse/etc. AS this is a career-oriented question, you need to understand what is the demand within your locale (it will vary, as will the salary ranges).

If you are on a developer track now, ODI will be easier for you to pick up and learn. The DBA role will required a minimum of 3-5 years to learn, and another 5 years to master!! Many senior or expert DBAs shoudl have 10+years of hands-on experience.

I hope this helps you.

Happy Holidays!

Peter

Oracle

Peter Choi