Oracle/Faild transaction issue

Hi Sir,

I have a question there is a transaction going on in oracle database due to space constraint it got failed. So my question is does the transaction will completely failed or it will partially done? and if it's partially done how can we go back and check data until it has done.

Hi Seshu,

Unless you have auto-commit enabled (e.g. committing after a fixed number of transactions), then the entire transaction would have rolled back and failed in its entirety.

In Oracle's SQL*Plus utility, you can set AUTOCOMMIT (Reference: Outside of the SQLPLUS utility, AUTOCOMMIT is not a database configuration item (refernece:

The easiest check to see if any of your transactions have been committed is to query the destination table(s) where the insert/update/delete was to have occurred.

I hope this helps.

Peter Choi

I am a senior Oracle DBA, PeopleSoft HCM specialist and Project Manager with 15+ years experience. I have been working with PeopleSoft (HRMS/HCM 5, 7, 7.x and 8.9, 9.x), Oracle RDBMS (7.3 - 11gR2) on various Unix and MS-Windows platforms, and some Oracle Application Server (9i - 11gR1). I also have experience with the configuration and administration of PeopleSoft's Internet Architecture (PIA) and the Oracle 11g Fusion Middleware and Oracle Business Intelligence (OBI).