Oracle/Data Guard

Question
Hi Elliot,

Could you please explain me.

1) What is vanilla Data Guard?
2) When would we need to enable the Data Guard Broker process? and why ?
3) What parameters in using orapwd are critical for success?
4) What would you recommend as a value for SEND_BUF_SIZE and why?

Seshu

Answer
Seshu,

(1) I have never heard of vanilla DG, but I believe in your context, Vanilla Data Guard is the basic Data Guard option that comes with EE.  There is an extra cost option for the Active Data Guard.

(2) It is important to understand why you need DGB before you can answer this question for your own environment.  I do not want to give you a generic answer that does not fit your needs.  Here is the concept document for DGB
http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B12037_01/server.101/b10822/concepts.htm

(3) I do not know what is the definition of success in your mind.    There are four parameters, they are FILE, ENTRIES, FORCE, and IGNORECASE.  I believe all of them are important.  
http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B28359_01/server.111/b28310/dba007.htm

(4) There is no recommend value for SEND_BUF_SIZE.  It is depending on your environment.  Oracle said
"For best performance, the size of the send and receive buffers should be set large enough to hold all of the data that may be sent concurrently on the network connection. For a simple database connection, this typically maps to the OCI_PREFETCH_MEMORY size.

Setting the SEND_BUF_SIZE and RECV_BUF_SIZE to at least the bandwidth-delay product, will insure that when large amounts of data are being sent that the network bandwidth will be optimally utilized."

Hope it helps
Elliot

Oracle

Elliot Mak