Oracle/business analyst

Question
Myself Aashish & now studing Msc computer sci. I want to do a career as a business analyst & also i know for that require exprience but i don't know the path to become a Business Analyst.

My friend suggested me the path from Oracle DBA. Is this right path for me or Is there any other path to go for business analyst.

And
What is the role of DBA? &
What is the role of Oracle developer in a company?

Answer
Hi Aashish,

A business analyst (BA) is focused primarily on the business of an organization. There are 4 different areas where BAs can be found int:

1. Strategic Planning.
2. Operational Planning (Business model).
3. Operational Business Process.
4. Information Technology.

What your friend may be referring to is #4 working in the IT realm.

BAs are analyst have the ability to understand the business drivers, understand the business needs and requirments (expressed in business terminology, not in technical terms). Using establish metheods, a BA will be called on to document, identify, and/or solve a business problem. The problem can be at the (#4) technology level (e.g. what tool is best to meet my business needs), (#3) it could be at the process level (e.g. how do I accomplish a set of tasks to arrive at an outcome), (#2) at the business level (e.g. how effective and efficient is the business operating within its unit and externall), or at the strategic model (e.g. what is our goal for this fiscal year? What are we hoping to achieve within a 5 year period, etc.)

You can certain look to join a local chapter of the IIBA (Reference: http://www.iiba.org/iiba/) to learn more about what education they may offer.

If you are looking at #4, then you need to decide (a) which business area; (b) can you speak both the business and technology language (e.g. can you write up a business specification that a developer/programmer would be able to understand and translate into code?).

Many BAs are working in the Enterprise Resource Planing (ERP) space. This covers the area of Human Resources, Finances, Customer Relationship Management (CRM), Supplier Relationship Management (SRM) and Supply Chain Management (SCM).

There are technology solutions available that cover all of the above (e.g. Oracle, SAP, Microsoft) and other technologies that may specialize in a certains areas (e.g. Workday, Ariba, etc.)

Understanding the business and technology will allow the BA to "connect the dots" between the business owners and the technologists.

To answer your other questions, an Oracle Database Administrator (DBA) is a technologist who specilaizes in administering and managing an Oracle Database. Typcially databases are used as the data repository that supports many ERP applications. Some a DBA may manage 2-3 large databases  in a large organization or many or all the databases in a smaller organization. Over time you will encounter different business requirements that you may be called upon to asist developers in solving (e.g. how do I write an SQL query to do this, why is my SQL performing so poorly, etc.) As a technologist, you're interacting with the infrastructure support and other developers. In smaller organizations where the DBA is sometimes both DBA and developer, you may interact with the business client.

An Oracle Developer is a programmer, usually specializing with a specific Oracle product (e.g. PeopleSoft, eBusiness Suite, Business Intelligence, ADF/Java programming, etc.) Companies that have selected Oracle as their technology of choice will employ Oracle programmers to develop and manage applications using these tools. Programmers and DBAs often work closely together.

I hope this helps you with your decision.

Good luck.

Peter

Oracle

Peter Choi