Oracle/error in login

when i want to login to oracle 10g than it is asking the user name and password but i enter both things than it display me the error "protocol adapter error" after 3 time tries the sql window disappeared?

Hi Sarah,

The problem is your database instance is probably not up and running, hence why you are unable to connect. This is a common problem associated to the Oracle error message ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error

The solution:
a) Start the database instance. (The instructions will depend on the Operating System your database server is running. This also applies if you are running a stand-alone database on your laptop or desktop computer)

b) If your database was set to "autostart" you can simply re-boot the server and the database should be started. If it is not, then you will need to manually start it (option a)

I hope this helps.

Peter Choi

I am a senior Oracle DBA, PeopleSoft HCM specialist and Project Manager with 15+ years experience. I have been working with PeopleSoft (HRMS/HCM 5, 7, 7.x and 8.9, 9.x), Oracle RDBMS (7.3 - 11gR2) on various Unix and MS-Windows platforms, and some Oracle Application Server (9i - 11gR1). I also have experience with the configuration and administration of PeopleSoft's Internet Architecture (PIA) and the Oracle 11g Fusion Middleware and Oracle Business Intelligence (OBI).