Oracle/table size is increasing abnormally

Question
Hi Peter,

I have a table the growth of it's normal in the morning but later in the afternoon the table size is increasing abnormally. Could you please explain me what could be the reason for it.

Kumar

Answer
HI Kumar,

If your table is being used as a temporary table to store values, then it's possible that it can grow quickly. You need to understand the application that is using the table to understand why the sudden growth. If the table continues to growing daily, you will definitely want to (a) re-size it accordingly; (b) find out from the application and  business users what they are doing to cause the growth.

I hope this helps given the scant pieces of information available.

Peter

Oracle

Peter Choi