Oracle/users and access

i have a user man1. scheduled scripts run on daily basis have password  of man1 hard coded to it.i want restrict this  man1 to just run these scripts and restrict other database access other than this.

simply i dont want any one accessing this user to log on to database but  it should run the scheduled scripts.

is there any way

ANSWER: Hi Faiz,

Is this within the Oracle DB scheduler or on the server (Windows or Unix)?
Please let me know and I will try to help with a resolution.

QUESTION: on the server unix .Thank you

Hi Faiz,

On the Unix server, you can use CRON ( to schedule any actions that can be initiated through the Unix command line. that way only those scheduled jobs can run.

As an aside, hardcoding passwords in scripts are generally a bad ideal To safeguard the user/password account (it can be seen using the "ps -ef" command), use Oracle Wallet (

Make sure that your man1 Unix account is not shared by other human users. That too is a bad idea and can lead to other running your script by accident.

I hope this helps.

Peter Choi

I am a senior Oracle DBA, PeopleSoft HCM specialist and Project Manager with 15+ years experience. I have been working with PeopleSoft (HRMS/HCM 5, 7, 7.x and 8.9, 9.x), Oracle RDBMS (7.3 - 11gR2) on various Unix and MS-Windows platforms, and some Oracle Application Server (9i - 11gR1). I also have experience with the configuration and administration of PeopleSoft's Internet Architecture (PIA) and the Oracle 11g Fusion Middleware and Oracle Business Intelligence (OBI).