Oral Surgery/small mouth/ microstomia

anon wrote at 2009-11-15 17:55:07
hi barbara,

I have the same problem is there a possibility that we could get in touch.  I'm interested in the same kind of surgery as you but here in the uk they dont seem to do it.  How can we arrange to get in touch?

Dr. g. wrote at 2010-09-24 08:47:03
You can achieve small amount of expansion of your mouth by wearing cheek retractors(ask your local dentist to order you the appropriate size) and wear them 1-2 hours per day at home.  As with any muscles in the body, you can get elongation and hence expansion.

Good luck and please do post any progress.

Bill wrote at 2015-04-01 21:22:54
The surgical procedure is called a Lateral Commissurplasty. It will add 12 mm to each side.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired