You are here:

Oral Surgery/small mouth/ microstomia


anon wrote at 2009-11-15 17:55:07
hi barbara,

I have the same problem is there a possibility that we could get in touch.  I'm interested in the same kind of surgery as you but here in the uk they dont seem to do it.  How can we arrange to get in touch?

Dr. g. wrote at 2010-09-24 08:47:03
You can achieve small amount of expansion of your mouth by wearing cheek retractors(ask your local dentist to order you the appropriate size) and wear them 1-2 hours per day at home.  As with any muscles in the body, you can get elongation and hence expansion.

Good luck and please do post any progress.

Bill wrote at 2015-04-01 21:22:54
The surgical procedure is called a Lateral Commissurplasty. It will add 12 mm to each side.

Oral Surgery

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired


I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.


Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC

©2017 All rights reserved.