Oral Surgery/bone morphogenetic protein

Anjjk1003 wrote at 2015-09-29 22:29:25
My son's plastic surgeon elected for my son to have the BMP rather than the bone graph, stating that it would be less evasive, less painful, less hospital time, and less expensive. As he is one of the leading Cleft Plastic Surgeons in the US, and we heard horror stories about the bone graphs, we went along with it. The surgery itself took a little over 2 hours, one night in the hospital, and 6 weeks of a liquid diet. My son, who was 9 at the time, had little to no pain. His face was blue and swollen for almost a week, but that was it. It's been 4 years now, and he has had no problems or complications.  Only distressing thing, was after the surgery, our insurance company wrote us explaining they would not pay for the surgery as BMP is experimental treatment. Thank goodness for Children's hospitals advocates and legal services.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC