Oral Surgery/BSSO

zozo wrote at 2015-02-25 04:12:25
The previous answer is very right. I personally have been to an orthodontist who had suggested splints not because he said its better than surgery but to try and alleviate the muscle spasm.

At the end of the day it is not a cure and to be frank it is a way for orthodontist to make money out of you. I know the right decision for me is to have surgery rather than waste money on a splint, since this is only short term and if my bite is not corrected i will always have pressure until the bite is fixed. It is not necessary in their best interest to send you to have the surgery done. I knew straight away that i woudl be taken on a spin from one appointment to the next trying different things which i was not prepared to do again.

I have the same pressure on my joint which is because of the assymmetric nature of the jaw positions as your daughter. I have been using a different orthodontist for one year and awaitings BSSO surgery within the next month or so. The experienced orthodonist will send you the the maxillofacial specialist straight away to discuss the options rather than making short term money making alternatives.  

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC