Oral Surgery/failed apico, chances of failed implant?

Question
Hi Dr. Teig,

A few years ago i had a root canal done on tooth #9.  The dentist left it open for three weeks of drainage and then completed the RCT.  A year later I returned to have an apico.  Apico was fine until 5 years later when I developed an infection.  I decided to re-do the apico since I couldn't afford an implant.  I do not see any infection (fistula) but from time to time I do have a strange feeling and some slight pain.  The X ray shows a dark area but I 've had the same dark area for years now.  I was told it might be scar tissue.  My next step is an implant, with my history of failed apicos, does this lower my chance of a successful implant?

thank you for all your help!

Answer
Sylvia -  It is not the fact that you had a failed apicoectomy, but the main factor in the success of an implant is the quality, skill and knowledge of the surgeon.  There are many general dentists who now attempt the placement of dental implants with a very limited success rate.  The knowledge of the anatomy of the particular area and the surgical ability usually predicts the success of the implant.  For that reason, it is important that the dental implant be placed by a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon.  Other dentists who attempt placement are not skilled in the surgical requirements for success and have a very limited success rate.  So find a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and the implant should be successful.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired