Oral Surgery/mental nerve pain from implant

Hello Doctor, I read your suggestion to someone else that alcohol could be injected for mental nerve pain.  I had a chin implant 4 years ago, for only 3 months, as it was pressing on the mental nerve and needed to be removed.  I asked my plastic surgeon about the pain, and he mentioned the alcohol idea as well, also said he had heard about botox and would do more research.  The pain in my lower lip varies from barely noticeable to very painful and unbearable.  Would alcohol still be your suggestion? What kind of doctor do I find to do this? (I am in NJ) better than cutting the nerve, or botox?  is it possible this could affect movement?  I really can't take this pain anymore and need an answer.  I also would very much like to try another implant, but am nervous about it.  thank you.

I am so sorry to hear about your problem.  I have never used botox.  The fact that the psin. Sometimes is brtter on its own usually means that alcohol is not always needed. I would suggest that you first see a neurologist to possibly presribe a neuroloical medication first and see uf it helps. If not, make an appointment with a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon for the injection.

As long as the bone in the area has healed, the surgeon can also do the implant placement and insure that a new implant will work. Good luck and if you have more questions get back to me.  Sorry I.was late contacting you but I list piwdr and internet in the storm.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC