Oral Surgery/mental nerve pain from implant

Hello Doctor, I read your suggestion to someone else that alcohol could be injected for mental nerve pain.  I had a chin implant 4 years ago, for only 3 months, as it was pressing on the mental nerve and needed to be removed.  I asked my plastic surgeon about the pain, and he mentioned the alcohol idea as well, also said he had heard about botox and would do more research.  The pain in my lower lip varies from barely noticeable to very painful and unbearable.  Would alcohol still be your suggestion? What kind of doctor do I find to do this? (I am in NJ) better than cutting the nerve, or botox?  is it possible this could affect movement?  I really can't take this pain anymore and need an answer.  I also would very much like to try another implant, but am nervous about it.  thank you.

Dana -  Alcohol injections are still used to actually kill the nerve.  The trade off is a permanent numbness of the area.  The doctor who does this is usually a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon.  The muscles of the face are not directly affected, but because there is a loss of sensation, there tends to be an appearance of weak muscles since the individual injected does not know "where his muscles are and the facial expression they may effect".  As a trade off, the loss of the pain may mean that the alcohol injection  might be appropriate, but be ready for the numbness.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC