Oral Surgery/wistom teeth/swollen

QUESTION: hello i had all four wisdom teeth extracted october 8 got a check up a week after everything was total its being almost 3 weeks since the my left side got swollen again went back to dentist today and was told left bottom side already healed but is swollen so is it an infection? she didnt know what to say what should i do? thanks hope you can help

ANSWER: Selene -  Without examining the area I cannot be completely sure, but the infection you now apparently have is usually due to an inclusion of debris into the healing extraction socket.  It is important that you immediately begin a strict regimen of warm salt water rinses for about 5 minutes, 4-5 times a day.  In addition, the dentist needs to prescribe an antibiotic.  The rinsing alone should induce drainage of the infection, but the antibiotic is necessar to insure all the bacteria in the area is eliminated.  After beginning the rinsing, the swelling should reduce within a few days.   I hope you feel better soon.

QUESTION: thank you for your answer now im wondering if its an infecction what caused it since when the dentist checked me it looked healed from the outside my concern now also is that i might be pregnant should i take the antibiotics they prescribed me? (clindamycin) i been doing the salt water rinses the swolen is almost completely gone. thanks for your help

Selene - At the present time, Clindamycin is not known to produce problems during pregnancy and no known affect on the fetus, but the recommendation is that you speak with your OB Gyn doctor to make sure.  I am glad that the warm salt water seems to have helped and I suggest that you continue using it for at least another 7-10 days.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC