Oral Surgery/bruxism, TMJ disorder, malocclusion

Hello Dr. Teig--
Thanks so much for all of your answers/knowledge that you provide in this forum.  I am a 40 year old female with severe bruxism (I have eaten through many an expensive nightguard), now diagnosed with TMJ disorder and malocclusion.  The bruxism came before everything else--did the malocclusion develop secondary to the bruxism?  Are there any good treatments for bruxism?  What should be my next step?  I am leery of surgery.  The various doctors I've seen in the area (Sarasota, FL), all seem to have a different opinion.  Is there a specialist in Florida (or elsewhere) you might recommend?  I am more than willing to travel to see someone who can help.  Thanks again for your time.

Jennifer - Of course I cannot be totally sure without examining you, but in general bruxixm often begins even from mumor malocclusions.  The bruxism is the body's subconcious attempt to level the bite.  The first treat is to relax the muscles that are in spasm from the bruxism, but the bite needs to be adjusted.  I really do not know specialists in Florida for this.  My suggestion is for you to find a dental school in Florida and be examined from a doctor teaching there who is a specialist in occlusion.  I wish you well and hope you feel better soon.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC