Oral Surgery/Gum graft

Question
I had a gum graft 10 days ago. I had severe recession on my front right center lower tooth. My periodontist performed a gum graft, takng tissue from my palate and treating both center lower teeth. I returned to my periodontist after a week. He said the site did not look great, buthealing was possible. He wanted me to return in two weeks. I have developed quite a bit of discomfort at the site. My gum looks largely detached, there is still white tissue that is not turning pink, and I am concerned.  If this graft has failed, what is the possibilty of success a second time? Would tissue need to come from somewhere other than the palate? Is it reasonable to return to the same doc? Thanks much!

Answer
Helen - occasionally grafts due fail for a number of reasons.  The doctor needs to be extra careful in retrying to perform grafting a second time due to a decrease blood flow from the first surgery.  A palatal graft as an initial treatment is usually succesful if done properly.  The failure of palatal grafts is very unusual in the hands of a skilled doctor.  My suggestion is that you seek treatment from a different periodontist.  I hope it all works out and the second graft is successful.  If you have additional questions, feel free to contact me again.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired