Oral Surgery/hematoma after cavity filling.

Question
Hello. I was getting a small filling for a cavity last Friday, and it seems the needle giving the anesthesia caused a hematoma in my left cheek (at least that is what my dentist said happened). My dentist told me it will take two weeks to go away and to use ice; he also gave me a generic vicodin prescription as well as antibiotics to avoid infection. Is there anything else I can do to alleviate the pain and make this go away faster, or is this just a wait and deal with it sort of thing? Is there anything else I should be doing? It's been five days and the swelling has gone down a little...but it's still hard to eat, talk, smile, laugh, brush my teeth, etc. My cheek is discolored, as I was expecting, yellowish-blue. My dentist won't be open again until after the holiday weekend and I don't know who else to turn to.

Answer
Lily - Immediately stop the ice.  That should only be used for the first two days.  Immediately begin a regimen of warm salt water rinses.  Do the rinsing in the area of the hematoma for about 4-5 minutes, 4-5 times a day.  You will notice a quick resolution of the swelling and discoloration.  So start the warm salt water rinses.  I wish you well and hope the hematoma resolves soon.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired