Oral Surgery/Persistent gum infection

Question
I have an infection in front of a dental implant that was put in 2 years ago.  After the permanent caps were put in, one came loose and when the dentist re-installed it some of the tissue was pinched between the cap and the implant. This was corrected, but caused a lot of pain. Since then, an infection has re-occurred near that spot. The infection has been treated with antibiotics 4 times and laser surgery twice over the past year.  It is still recurring and my oral surgeon is recommending laser surgery for a third time.  The last set of antibiotics did not clear the infection.  I am wondering why they wouldn't remove the implant cap to inspect for a cause of the infection or surgically follow the hole caused by the infection to discover the source?  Or what other options might be available?

Answer
Ira, you raise so good and valid points. I do not know why they do not do either of these things, If an infection continues and the cause of it is not taken care of, you could potential loose more bone in the area. This may ultimately lead to loss of the implant. It might be worth getting a second opinion. It is hard to give options without seeing an x-ray or seeing you clinically. I hope that helps.

Oral Surgery

James M. Ryan. DDS, MS; Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon