Oral Surgery/Persistent gum infection

I have an infection in front of a dental implant that was put in 2 years ago.  After the permanent caps were put in, one came loose and when the dentist re-installed it some of the tissue was pinched between the cap and the implant. This was corrected, but caused a lot of pain. Since then, an infection has re-occurred near that spot. The infection has been treated with antibiotics 4 times and laser surgery twice over the past year.  It is still recurring and my oral surgeon is recommending laser surgery for a third time.  The last set of antibiotics did not clear the infection.  I am wondering why they wouldn't remove the implant cap to inspect for a cause of the infection or surgically follow the hole caused by the infection to discover the source?  Or what other options might be available?

Ira, you raise so good and valid points. I do not know why they do not do either of these things, If an infection continues and the cause of it is not taken care of, you could potential loose more bone in the area. This may ultimately lead to loss of the implant. It might be worth getting a second opinion. It is hard to give options without seeing an x-ray or seeing you clinically. I hope that helps.

Oral Surgery

James M. Ryan. DDS, MS; Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon

Dr. Ryan's expertise is in the field of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. Specifically, Dr. Ryan is an expert in Orthognathic Surgery. He holds uniques experience as the former Assistant Program Director of the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Residency Training Program at Washington Hospital Center where he trained residents to perform these complicated surgical procedures. Additionally, Dr. Ryan also has a tremendous amount of experience in reconstruction of the maxillofacial skeleton related to trauma and tooth loss. Dr. Ryan is an expert in 3 dimensional treatment planning for Orthognathic Surgery, Dental Implant Surgery and Wisdom Teeth removal. To learn more about Dr. Ryan, his full profile can be seen at

Diplomate of the American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery with current hospital affiliations at: Washington Hospital Center Holy Cross Germantown Hospital National Institute of Health/NIDCR

American Dental Association. American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons. District of Columbia Society of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons. District of Columbia Dental Society. American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons. Health Volunteers Overseas.

Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Journal of The American Dental Association

S.U.N.Y @ Stony Brook- B.S. in Biochemistry, Stony Brook, NY. Northeastern University- M.S. in Perfusion Technology, Boston, MA. D.D.S.- New York University College of Dentistry, New York, NY. Certificate and Chief Resident- Washington Hospital Center, Washington, DC. Clinical Fellow- The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, MD.

Dr. Ryan has received numerous awards including: 2006 American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons Dental Student Award, Washington Hospital Center 2008 Nurses' Choice Physician Collaboration Award, 2009 Resident Research Summit Scholarship Award, and the 2011 Outstanding Surgical Attending in the Department of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery at Washington Hospital Center. He has also authored/coauthored and published several journal articles and held several teaching positions,including assistant professor, while at NYUCD.