Oral Surgery/Reduce length

QUESTION: I would like to know if it's possible to reduce midface length, and by midface I mean the distance between the glabella and nasal base. Mine is too long (8 centimeters to be exactly), and the other areas of my face, which are the upper face (Hairline to the glabella) and lower face (Nasal base to the base of the chin) are only 7 centimeters. I thought that a maxillary impaction could help me but it would only reduce the length of my lower face.

ANSWER: Vinicius, It is possible to reduce the height of the midface by impacting the maxilla. You must remember that that impaction will also reduce the height of the lower face because the the stop of the lower teeth is now superiorly placed. To correct for this, a genioplacty or a sliding horizontal osteotomy of the chin should be performed. I hope that helps

QUESTION: Thank you so much for your answer but I have another question, you say that a maxillary impaction would reduce the height my midface, but as far as I know the maxillary impaction would only reduce the height of my maxilla, but the maxilla is located below the nasal base, it's located in the lower face, not in the midface. Thanks again.

The impaction of the maxilla will take with it the anterior nasal spine which is part of the maxilla. It is also the base of the measurement of the lower portion of the midface. This is why it will change the measurement of the midface. I hope that clears things up.  

Oral Surgery

James M. Ryan. DDS, MS; Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon

Dr. Ryan's expertise is in the field of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. Specifically, Dr. Ryan is an expert in Orthognathic Surgery. He holds uniques experience as the former Assistant Program Director of the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Residency Training Program at Washington Hospital Center where he trained residents to perform these complicated surgical procedures. Additionally, Dr. Ryan also has a tremendous amount of experience in reconstruction of the maxillofacial skeleton related to trauma and tooth loss. Dr. Ryan is an expert in 3 dimensional treatment planning for Orthognathic Surgery, Dental Implant Surgery and Wisdom Teeth removal. To learn more about Dr. Ryan, his full profile can be seen at

Diplomate of the American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery with current hospital affiliations at: Washington Hospital Center Holy Cross Germantown Hospital National Institute of Health/NIDCR

American Dental Association. American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons. District of Columbia Society of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons. District of Columbia Dental Society. American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons. Health Volunteers Overseas.

Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Journal of The American Dental Association

S.U.N.Y @ Stony Brook- B.S. in Biochemistry, Stony Brook, NY. Northeastern University- M.S. in Perfusion Technology, Boston, MA. D.D.S.- New York University College of Dentistry, New York, NY. Certificate and Chief Resident- Washington Hospital Center, Washington, DC. Clinical Fellow- The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, MD.

Dr. Ryan has received numerous awards including: 2006 American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons Dental Student Award, Washington Hospital Center 2008 Nurses' Choice Physician Collaboration Award, 2009 Resident Research Summit Scholarship Award, and the 2011 Outstanding Surgical Attending in the Department of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery at Washington Hospital Center. He has also authored/coauthored and published several journal articles and held several teaching positions,including assistant professor, while at NYUCD.