Oral Surgery/Sinus communication after wisdom teeth surgery

Question
Hello, I had my 4 impacted wisdom teeth extracted 5 days ago. Ever since I've been feeling air pass between my sinus cavity and the upper left wisdom tooth hole. Also when I drink or swish water around my mouth it feels like some gets in my nose. Than there is a salty bitter tastes in my mouth.  My left nostril also feels cold, much colder than my right nostril. I've also had some headaches and slight pressure in the ear on the left side as well.

Over the last 5 days the symptoms seem to be getting slightly worse, and more pronounced. I've called my oral surgeon and have set up an appointment, but thats in another 5 days. So what should I do in the mean time since I assume it isnt healing on its own. If it comes to surgery, than what is the surgery like? Would I need two surgeries one to cleen it one to close it? Is it done in oral surgeons office? What anesthesia options would I get?

Thanks so much for your advise. Am I being over paranoid?

Luke

Answer
Luke, These things sometimes happen. When you see your surgeon, they will decide what to do. They may decide to leave it alone and see if it will close on its own or they may want to perform a surgery to close it. Just follow any directions that your surgeon gave you. I hope that helps.

Oral Surgery

James M. Ryan. DDS, MS; Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon