Oral Surgery/wisdom tooth extraction

Question
Hello Dr. Jamali,
I had all four of my wisdom teeth taken out 7 days ago. Three of the sites have almost completely healed. However, one of the sites seems swollen but not painful. On this same side between my two back molars I have a gum that flaps open..I called my oral surgeons office and the nurse on the phone told me this was normal and to keep rinsing my mouth with salt water. The thing is, in the past two days I have noticed a white colored circle on the the top of this gum that can flap open. I also noticed there is the same color tissue in the back of my mouth where the stitches are places and I was told white gum tissue can mean they are healing but how do I know its not infection?
Its a bit tender at the site of this white colored circle on my gum but it is not painful nor red. Nor do I have a fever.

HELP!

thank you

Answer
Hi Marie-Josee,
It is difficult to answer your question without evaluating you. I usually see may patients 6-7 days after surgery and answer their questions.  So I think you should make an appointment to have your surgeon evaluate it.

Having said that, I agree with the surgeon about the healing part. Usually when mucosa is in the process of healing, you would see the white part after few days. By this time it should not be flapping open or have any swelling.

So please contact their office soon.  

Oral Surgery

Majid Jamali, D.M.D. Fellowship trained in corrective jaw surgery