Oral Surgery/Wisdom tooth extraction

Hello Dr.,
I had all four of my wisdom teeth taken out 7 days ago. Three of the sites have almost completely healed. However, one of the sites seems swollen but not painful. On this same side between my two back molars I have a gum that flaps open..I called my oral surgeons office and the nurse on the phone told me this was normal and to keep rinsing my mouth with salt water. The thing is, in the past two days I have noticed a white colored circle on the the top of this gum that can flap open. I also noticed there is the same color tissue in the back of my mouth where the stitches are places and I was told white gum tissue can mean they are healing but how do I know its not infection?
Its a bit tender at the site of this white colored circle on my gum but it is not painful nor red. Nor do I have a fever.

thank you

Marie - your descripton of what is happening during the healing is normal,  except for the loose gum tissue.  The residual swelling is not uncommon.  The warm salt water rinsing is correct, but you should do it for 2-3 minutes 4-5 times a day.  The surgeon should examine the loose tissue next week.  I hope you continue to heal well.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC