Oral Surgery/wisdom tooth extraction

Hello Dr. Bressman,
I had all four of my wisdom teeth taken out 7 days ago. Three of the sites have almost completely healed. However, one of the sites seems swollen but not painful. On this same side between my two back molars I have a gum that flaps open..I called my oral surgeons office and the nurse on the phone told me this was normal and to keep rinsing my mouth with salt water. The thing is, in the past two days I have noticed a white colored circle on the the top of this gum that can flap open. I also noticed there is the same color tissue in the back of my mouth where the stitches are places and I was told white gum tissue can mean they are healing but how do I know its not infection?
Its a bit tender at the site of this white colored circle on my gum but it is not painful nor red. Nor do I have a fever.

thank you

Obviously, it is impossible for me to tell you anything specific to your situation since I have not seen you.  I would encourage you to return to the oral surgeon who did your original surgery.  Having said this, what you are describing sounds pretty normal.  I normally advise patients to stimulate that loose tissue with their toothbrush and normally over the course of a week or two, it comes back to normal.  

Good luck,

Dr. Jeff BRessman

Oral Surgery

Jeff Bressman, DDS, Diplomate ABOMS

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon with over 24 years of experience. The majority of my practice involves dental implants, removal of wisdom teeth, treatment of areas of oral pathology. Please note that this site is designed for general information and I can not give you medical advice specific for you.

I have over 24 years of private practice experience

American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Fellow American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Diplomate National Dental Board of Anesthesia, Fellow American Dental Society for Anesthesia

BS, University of Illinois with honors DDS, University of Illinois, with high honors Board Certified, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery