Oral Surgery/Gum Grafting

Question
I had a front tooth implanted over a year ago. The implant is fine and healed well. A few months later a very tiny bone fragment came through the gum very close to the gum line. It created a pin hole in the gum. Within a day the tiny hole stretched an split. At this time you could see a tiny tear and a very small part of the titanium metal. I had a gum graft but after that healed it looked worse than the original tear, then a few months later another gum graft and again it healed worse than the last gum graft, now the 3rd gum graft failed completely and now about 1/10th of an inch of the titanium implant is exposed. I am feeling very hopeless for any further grafting. I have very healthy gums and the implant is perfect, what can be done to restore the gum to cover the titanium if anything can be done now?

Answer
Stacy, this is a very challenging problem. The esthetic zone is very difficult to treat especially after many failed attempts. Every time you have surgery on that site, you will loose bone and soft tissue support. The original surgeons should have informed you of that. There are a few approaches to fix this problem.  The easiest way to to remake the crown and add pink porcelain to the area of where the gums are. This will depend on some factors to see if it would work for you. Alternatively, the crown can be removed, the area can be grafter with bone and soft tissue, and allowed to heal without the crown attached to the implant and then replace the crown after 3 to 4 months after the bone graft and soft tissue graft. You should be aware that you will need to find an experienced surgeon with past and predictable results. Surgeons that have already operated on you will not make the situation any better if they have not been able to already. Look for an experienced (board certified by the ABOMS) oral and maxillofacial surgeon.  I hope that helps.Good luck.

Oral Surgery

James M. Ryan. DDS, MS; Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon